Build it up

A few weeks ago I received a message like this:
"Hey Simon. I´m Mariana. I want to do a bike tour along the mediteranean coast. I´m coming to Lisbon 9th of May. Do you have a place to stay and do you maybe know a place to get a bike?"

  Challenge accepted.





It´s a sunny friday evening and I want to meet up Mariana at Praca de Comercio. After a few loops around the monument and a backpack with a girl appeard in front of my wheel. Fresh imported from brazil, that´s all I know. Tired but relaxed, that´s all I see. Just home, have a shower and some dinner and a bed.

Next day is saturday. For me two days off and time to arrange things. On your arrival day at another continent you got something else to do than concerning about your stuff. So we had some breakfast in the streets, some rides through the city We enjoy afternoon sun at the miradouros and Lisbons streetlife at Out Jazz. By the way, my first time I showed somebody the city and I haven´t failed once!
At the end of the day Mariana tried out some of my bikes and with the evening the time to take decicions comes. My yellow bike will go on tour. Since half a year I saw this bike for sale and finally a few weeks ago I bought it. I felt this bike could be a faithful and brave companion for a ride from Lisbon to the sunrise. Never thought that her time will come so fast. It´s time to bring her in conditions. While cleaning the frame I already see her driving along lonesome streets and hanging out on the beaches or standging next to a single tree. Life by night and day. I wonder if that will be a mister or a lady. Most of the bikes are girls, but normally they are ridden by guys. When I asked Mariana she she looked me up a little confused: "She´s called Sol, what else should she be than a girl?" I found a bike, a bike found a rider and the rider found a name. Time to turn a backpacker into a Mountainbike Traveller!

Next day is shopping day. Time to spend money. Checking out stores all over the city, bike shops, sport shops, chines shops, construction shops. A few hours and shops later most is done. Almost all basic staff is arranged. Only two most elementary things miss: a sleeping bag and the bags for the rack.





It´s monday again, what to me currently means it´s time to work again. Mariana now is in charge of the last things. We met up in the evening and Mariana already brough some used bags for the rack. Only one good deal later we swooped them for some usefull and travel-experienced once: mine. This night we started to build up the bike. From now on nights in my home-garage and days at work turned into twilight. We built up the rack, changed the saddle and tires, installed a low-budget front rack. We brought everything in conditions and discussed the best ways how to go down south. Everyday new and everyday better. Finally it´s friday evening again. One week is over and Mariana and Sol are ready to go. I was kind of curious to bring this vihicle to the street. Less sceptic about the bike, than about the girl. If a screw has to be turned right for shure she turned it left and if I said pull she pushed.


Finally on saturday midday twilight is over and Sun comes out. On already well known streets we start the Exudos from Lisbon. Down to the river - not without stopping for a beer - and further to the ferry. When we reach the other side of the river sun is already going down. The unique target of the day is to find a beach to sleep. Busy roads already indroduce Mirana to the bad face of bike travelling, but she can take it. When I found an unpaved way along the roads left, I kindly asked if it might be possible that she feels in conditions to be able to try out going there if it´s not to much effort for the very first kilometers? And she turned left. With the sunset we arrived. Riding a sandy and bumpy trail until the end of the beach and finally found a spot for the tent in the dunes. And she could take it all.

And than: take off the shoes, build up the tent and settle down. I feel a deep impression overcomes Mariana and I feel it by myself. Every breath of air seems to contain the whole dimension of the world. A raising feeling of resistance against all adversities. A tremble with freedom. Realizing that everything beginns now. There´s nothing better than travelling the world by bike. Warm welcome Mariana. Might the wind be with you or might you be stronger than the wind.