Geres - Portugals bike pearl in the high north


 The true mountainbike pearl we find up in the north of Portugal: the rocky peaks of the spanish-portuguese National Park Geres.



For me this five day bike trip starts with a 5 hours train ride. Prepared with a few GPS-trails a sleeping bag and my bike. The adventure already starts in Lisbon Santa Apolonia trainstation. Bike transportation is only allowed in the slow trains and the space for bikes is already reserved for the next train. Well done that I´m at the station already an hour earlier. An hour time to discuss in Portugal is almost the same as a reservation and so I reach Porto 3 h later and Braga another hour later.

I can´t go to Braga without visit good friends I made there years ago. Nobody knew about my arrival, but I received the only answer I expected: "Come in, I´m just cooking" A good dinner, a few glasses of wine and a good nap later finally start in the bike weekend. I learned from my fault the day before and already bought my ticket for the way back, iniciated the GPS and searched for the closest trail I saved. "Braga - Montalege". I originally took this trail with me for the way back but seems to be good for the outbound way as well. Braga is in the southwest of Geres, Montalegre in the east. seems like a good trail to get into it. I just left Braga 20 minutes behind when I start the first uphill to two of the most famous monuments the pilgrimage churches of Bom Jesus and Falperra. Falperra is located on top of Braga and it seems that this trail from there on never goes down again. Always on top of the mountain crest I slowly gain altitude. 

Easy to reveal that the creater of the track is a Braga local. The trail initially is very technical so I reach my limits already after the first hours. In the afternoon I pass by Vieira do Minho. Just in time, as my legs after 2000 m uplill slowly start to tremble, singletrails and blocked, stony donkey pathes make place for smoover forrest roads in Serra da Cabreira. My way brings me much more southern as I planned, but the great selection of trails make me decide to stay on this track.


The second day waits with great views from the beautifull Serra do Barroso and uncountless views up to the rough mountains of Geres and down to the reservoir of Alta Rabagao. I cross the reservoir on the dam wall and back up to the mountains arround noon. The rocky mountains of Geres come closer with every uphill. In the early afternoon I reach the regional center Montalegre. The heat of the afternoon makes me calm down my speed. I stop for an extended ice cold Coke in Montalegre and decide calm down the rest of the day. I follow the paved but calm road indicated to Geres National park.

When the evening comes closer I finally step into Geres on the northside of of Rio Cávado. All along it´s steep canyon I find a road with calm villages every 15 km. When I finally find a bar in one of the villages, I used the moment to have some beers, charge the GPS and finish the day with a great view over the canyon.

The next day I´m ready to trail on. I see the next GPS-trail in about 15 km distance, so I venture away for the first doubletrail and leave the road. Sometimes the I find indicated hiking ways, sometimes I just trust in my orientation. Steep zig zag bends finally leads me up to the first peaks of Geres and I regret that I haven´t spended all the days arround here. Up and down I pass over to the village Geres where I got indicated by locals for the way over to Campo de Geres. "You want to go to Braga. On the best way?", "No, the worst way, please" So I got the worst way and I loved it! In a heavy enduro trail I finally left my very last power on my biggest challange of the weekend.


When I finally reached civilization again my legs are done, battery it´s empty and I´m ready for the last but not least delights of the region: Portuguese food, coffee and a couple of beers for only for 7 Euro. After a good last sleep in the mountains I ride the road through Terras de Bouro back to the charming city of Braga and only 4 hours later I´m back home and have a hot shower.

Ready for the next ride!