Tailormade bike bags by moutainbike-traveller





Sometimes it´s just destiny. In spring I thought about building bike backs. So I started to search for a tarpaulin. But as I haven't found a place to buy in Lisbon, I quickly forgot about it. And then, only a few days later, someone left 15 for me in the trash box next to my place. Suddenly the bike bags has been back on my agenda. Some 6 weeks, 4 attempts, many sweating and swearing later I can proudly present my prototype #1: with a size of about 15 liter a simple but functional click-in-system at the rack and mainly made out of recycled material I´m quite happy with it!



My first try was a square box with two holders became what didn't want to fit together. Only on the third try I found a way how to fix the tarpaulin together that it considered to be reliable. On that point I finally was able to go shopping and to work with it. Soon I figured out which parts has to be revised. I added some protections adjusted the form and worked out some details. And here I am; proud on my first bike back and disappointed with the result in the same way.

The back is waterproofed, fits well on the rack, doesn't handicap the ride and seems to be reliable. To sum it up, it´s functional. If all that attributes proves true now, this backs already got some big advantages in compare to cheap bike bags you find online. Probably the main one: it´s handmade.

Every piece is a unique. There can be a tailermade solution in every back. Some bikes are smaller, some foots are bigger, some riders want a quick open system and some need maximum protection. Not a problem if every back is a unique. All elements are from hardware shops and warehouses: screws, iron stripes and rivets, glue bike tubes and a tension belt. So, no matter what happened you can fix it, no matter where you are.

As glad as I´m with the result, as unsatisfied I´m with the prototype. On so many points I´m still searching for better solutions and some parts are simply not to realize with the same smartness as an industrial solution provides. I changed so many things on the way from the first draft to prototype #1. Hence, I´m sure that #2 will already be reformed and improved. Indeed, this bag is not to compare with a premium product like VauDe or Ortlieb. With years of experience and access to every kind of technology they brought bike bags to a higher level. I hope there is not a difference in quality, but only a long way to go.